Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Blogs in my School

Blogs can be a great addition to your classroom. When working with older students, I find that they get bored very quickly if you use lecturing as your only teaching method. Students need to be instructed in a variety of ways. Blogs can be one of these ways.

I would probably give my students a deeper-level question to blog on. They would be required to write with correct grammar so that their English skills would be used. We would have previously viewed other people's blogs to see what good and bad examples of blogging were. I would focus on higher level thinking when creating and commenting on a blog.

I tend to error on the side of caution, so I don't see myself starting this the first week of school. I'm excited to learn about it and teach it to teachers and students alike. I see that blogging could potentially cause problems, so time needs to be spent on setting up things such as student safety ahead of time. I hope that my students would get a positive experience from blogging, but I realize that it could very easily become a bad experience.

Becky

1 comment:

PattiK said...

My biggest concern is that students will post things that are not appropriate. I would like to see a blog that the teacher has to approve before the comments are posted and one that you can track who posted what.